Redream "Sega Dreamcast Emulator"

Krakerman

RL Member
I just discovered this emulator the other day as a stand-alone emu not thru Retroarch since I guess it went closed source back in January of this year so I started on a module for it tonight to get it working within RocketLauncher which was pretty easy to do.

I just need to work on the isd file for it this weekend and see about implementing bezels as well but for now I do have it up and playing games.

Krakerman

RL Member
Yippee! I'm looking forward to the release. Thanks so much for working on it.

Well I must say Redream is the easiest Dreamcast emu to get up and going .

The version I am working with is the lite version but so far I am liking what I see.

Funny I been searching and found no mention of this emu which surprised me being how easy and well it works. There us a paid version $5 for HD graphics.

As far as the module goes just rushed thru it last night to see if I can get it to work on my setup and was amazed how easy it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdog1978

RL Member
What are the advantages of this one over Demul? I always thought Demul had better compatibility and both offer up-scaling.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
As far as the module goes just rushed thru it last night to see if I can get it to work on my setup and was amazed how easy it was.

Modules for most single system emulators are a lot easier than people think to get running, grab the window info and barebones launch CLI and you're off. It's when emulators don't support CLI or even hotkeys requiring a bunch of menu manipulation, it emulates multiple systems that all need to be handled differently, different file types need different settings, etc when things get a little more complicated.

Redream was on my list of modules to do until it went closed source and locked features behind a paywall. Demul is still better AFAIK and I didn't want to post a module without the premium features for completion sake.

Krakerman

RL Member

Modules for most single system emulators are a lot easier than people think to get running, grab the window info and barebones launch CLI and you're off. It's when emulators don't support CLI or even hotkeys requiring a bunch of menu manipulation, it emulates multiple systems that all need to be handled differently, different file types need different settings, etc when things get a little more complicated.

Redream was on my list of modules to do until it went closed source and locked features behind a paywall. Demul is still better AFAIK and I didn't want to post a module without the premium features for completion sake.

Well My module currently supports the lite version but will be looking into the pro version this weekend see what additional features I will add to the module. My goal is to support both versions within the module itself.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
That's the way it should be done, no reason to have separate modules for lite and premium so you're on the right track. I think the only premium feature is upscaling so all you should have to do in theory assuming it uses a license file of some sort is mention in the isd key description that it's a premium only feature and in the module check for a license before writing the value if it's anything other than off/standard res (and throw a descriptive RL error if a license isn't found).

Krakerman

RL Member

That's the way it should be done, no reason to have separate modules for lite and premium so you're on the right track. I think the only premium feature is upscaling so all you should have to do in theory assuming it uses a license file of some sort is mention in the isd key description that it's a premium only feature and in the module check for a license before writing the value if it's anything other than off/standard res (and throw a descriptive RL error if a license isn't found).

I would not create separate modules for both but I have an idea how I want my module to look and work. Sometimes there certain things nit sure how to do then I will ask you guys how to do it. Always learning....

Last edited:

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Yup, learning by doing is the best way to learn coding IMO. Those of us who know AHK and how the modules work are always here to help if you get stuck.

Krakerman

RL Member

Yup, learning by doing is the best way to learn coding IMO. Those of us who know AHK and how the modules work are always here to help if you get stuck.

Very true ... I still waiting on the developers to add the cart hotkey support to c64 Forever so I can release my updated module for that. Those guys are very slow with updates and when they do put one out not so sure what they updated.

I got a lot of code and features into the new version of that module. Why they haven’t already done that baffles me seems like a no brainer really should of been added from the start but that my opinion. I already sent message to them about adding it in and they agree but when who knows.

I will start on this module tonight.

Last edited:

Krakerman

RL Member
Just upgraded to the Pro license so I will be testing those features out very soon.

Krakerman

RL Member
Update:

Tonight I coded my Redream module to get bezels to work on a per game basis. So if you want to run one game fullscreen and another with a bezel you'll be able to do that within the module.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
Enabling/Disabling bezels on a per game basis is already an option in RLUI so there's no reason to have that in the module.

Krakerman

RL Member
Enabling/Disabling bezels on a per game basis is already an option in RLUI so there's no reason to have that in the module.

Yeah I forgot bout that hahaha

Removed the code. Not that I spent much time on that just been screwing around with the code trying things out and learning really.

Last edited:

Krakerman

RL Member
Not yet. I’ve not had too much time lately to add in all the features but in it’s current state it will play Dreamcast games fullscreen or with bezels.

I did test it with the latest Redream release 1.2.2 and works just fine.

So hopefully soon I will finish coding in all the features and get it packaged up for release.

agent47

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
RL Member
I'm not trying to push this at all, just throwing it out there as an option, but I wrote a module for it when I got bored a few weeks ago so if you would rather work on your other projects I can polish mine up (module notes, etc).

I know you were enjoying learning while doing it and I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to steal your thunder (which is why I didn't mention that I wrote one) so if you want to finish it, by all means take your time and do so as there isn't a huge demand for it atm.

Tomkun

RL Member
Does ReDream support the display of the VMU? For me that's the best thing about DEmul. It looks awesome, especiially when you have the bezels set up.

Krakerman

RL Member
I'm not trying to push this at all, just throwing it out there as an option, but I wrote a module for it when I got bored a few weeks ago so if you would rather work on your other projects I can polish mine up (module notes, etc).

I know you were enjoying learning while doing it and I didn't want it to seem like I was trying to steal your thunder (which is why I didn't mention that I wrote one) so if you want to finish it, by all means take your time and do so as there isn't a huge demand for it atm.

By all means .... go for it.

I have been way to busy with a million other projects. Mine is working just fine but I just would like to add in some of the feature options that Redream has but will take more time and at my pace might take awhile so by all means feel free to release yours.